Friday, December 06, 2013

Snow Day

People always comment about how crazy Texas weather is. Maybe most years I am not paying attention, so I don't really fully understand what they are referring to. Well I am starting to figure it out.
Dallas already has short winters, and they are more like Autumn then Winter. We only get about 3 months of cold weather.

Wednesday Dallas was in the high 70's and for a short period even 80 degrees! Then all of a sudden on Thursday it drops to the 30's and we were expecting a cold storm to come through. I work at a glass company where we have over 20 driver's that have to go replace glass for customers. So everyone at work was already on the lookout to see if we were going to face icy roads. About 4pm we started calling our guys to get them off the slick roads.

I knew Friday we weren't going to come in to work. We had an ice storm coming in Thursday night and lasting through Saturday.  Friday morning Rob and I woke up and did our normal routine, without getting ready to leave for work. I went outside to walk to dog and saw this...
Collapsed Parking

Every single covered parking had fallen down and crushed the vehicles underneath. Rob and I were one of the lucky ones though. Only our covered parking was still standing. By the time we had gotten up, most of the residents had moved their cars. We scrambled to get our warmed up and moved before ours came crashing down.
Talking to some of the neighbors, they heard the commotion all night but didn't really pay attention to the sound. I can't say we live in the quietest neighborhood out there... Our other neighbors got the short end of the stick... Their cars got stuck and damaged.

I actually work at a glass company so I went and put our business cards with a discount on the cars that had the windshields smashed in. *A little plug for my business *wink wink**


A couple hours later we started hearing this loud sound right outside our living room window. When I went to the window to look a huge chunk of tree fell. We are so blessed that our apartment didn't get damaged. I have already put in a notice to the office about cutting the tree down, but did they listen? no!
A broken limb from all the ice.
On a more humorous note.. When we went out to look at the fallen tree we went around to see the progress the maintenance people were making on our side of parking.. We definitely don't have the brightest group working at our complex. This guy thought it was a genius idea to park under the only covered area left standing...



Definitely a genius lol!

I heard them making jokes about it, so it;s okay for me to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment