Monday, June 17, 2013

Healthy Breakfasts and Lunches

I am all about eating healthy in the morning and at lunch time, and then indulging in my cravings at dinner!

I've been cooking a lot of eggs in the morning and adding salsa and occasionally some ham with a side of fruit. This will keep me full for 4-5 hours at work. Nothing that special.




What I've been waiting to share is my Quinoa Salad! I've finally hopped on the bandwagon on this one! Last month I had bought this some what small bag of Quinoa from Kroger for more than $6. And by now you should know how much that kills me to spend so much on one item!! I thought, "What a waste. This is only going to last me 3 meals." Boy was I all sorts of wrong!! One cup of quinoa makes enough to last a week after it's cooked! I've been looking on pinterest for some recipes on how to fix it up to take to lunch, and a lot of them don't look that great. I decided I would just make up something on my own and try it out.

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

1 cup Quinoa : $1.50
1 can black beans : $0.49
1 can corn : $0.49
1 green pepper : $0.49
Avocado : $0.33
Total Cost: $3.30
Makes several meals.

Directions:
1. Bring 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil. Turn down to simmer. Cook until the quinoa's spirals come out and turn transparent. Usually cooks in 15 minutes.
2. Add corn, black beans, chopped peppers, and avocado.
3. Mix and chill. Serve and eat!




Notice the spirals and transparency
Look how much 1 cup makes!!

I tried a little today after work and it was pretty good! I'm going to be taking this to lunch tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment