Monday, June 17, 2013

Meals on a Budget

I always wonder how people can go to the grocery store and spend $150 on food that will only last then 2 weeks or less. And I'm not talking about people with large families or a couple kids. I'm talking about the folks living by themselves or with a spouse/partner. If this is you I am talking about then listen up! You're doing it all wrong. I don't waste my time with coupons or the weekly discounts and deals at the local grocery stores. I stick with a couple meals I know well, switching it up from time to time to add some variety to the dishes, but typically my most expensive dish is $8. Here are a couple I made a week ago:

Baked Ziti
Noodles : $0.50
Sauce : $1.19
Cheese : $1.00
Sausage : $2.50
Peppers : $0.49
Total Cost : $5.68

Directions:
1. Bring water to a boil, and cook noodles all the way through. I usually use half a box. Not sure how much it is, but just eye ball how much you need. 
2. While noodles are cooking, chop up 1 green pepper and the sausage and sautee in a skillet. Cook until green peppers are nice and tender, and a little brown.
3. After everything is cooked, dump it all in a casserole dish, add the sauce and cheese (I use half the bag bwhaha) and stir it all up!
4. Stick in the oven until the cheese is nice and melted, serve and eat!
Quick and easy meal!



This is after we devoured some of it.


Burritos!
1 can black beans: $0.49
1 can corn : $0.49
1 can refried beans : $0.69
1 can rotel : $0.79
cheese : $1.00
tortilla: $0.99
Total cost : $4.45


Directions
1. Mix black beans, corn, and refried beans in a bowl.
2. Heat tortillas, stuff with mix, and rollllll.
3. Line all the burritos up in a casserole dish, top with rotel and cheese.
4. Stick in the oven at 400 degrees until cheese is melted. Serve and eat!!


No comments:

Post a Comment